Government of India, via its medical research wing ‘the Indian Council of Medical Research’ (ICMR) with administrative guidance from “Department of Health Research” decided to create a dedicated infrastructure for research primarily at Government Medical Colleges with special focus on Non-Communicable Diseases, during its 12th plan.
80 of such infrastructures, aptly named as “Multi-disciplinary Research Unit” i.e. MRUs, are already in various stages of functioning; while few more, like the Multi-disciplinary Research Unit at Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed Medical College (MRU-FAAMC),
Barpeta is/are currently under process of establishment.
Main Objectives of this “Setting up of MRU scheme”
- Encourage and strengthen an environment of research in medical colleges.
- Bridge the gap in the infrastructure which inhibits health research in the Medical Colleges by assistingthem to establish multidisciplinary research facilities with a view to improve the health research andhealth services
- To ensure the geographical spread of health research infrastructure, in order to cover unserved and underserved Medical Colleges and other institutions
- To improve the overall health status of the population by creating evidence-based application ofdiagnostic procedures/processes/methods.
- Project sanctioned at F A A Medical College, Barpeta vide letter no. DHR/ADC/73/Assam/2013 dated 20/3/2014
- Currently at an advance stage of establishment under able guidance and direction from respected Principal cum Chief Superintendent of FAA Medical College, Barpeta Prof (Dr) B P Chakravarty and other senior faculty members.